Planet Smartwatch

Be smart, use your watch!

Water resistance

Talk about the Neptune Pine...
Water resistance
Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Minor correction to @Brent's INFO post - the IP67 rating is still in testing. Neptune has yet to find the right internal coating material and procedure.
jschall

Re: Water resistance
Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Noted and updated, thanks for the info.
Kent

Water resistance - details
Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm

IP67 rating definition:

Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)
Immersion up to 1 m Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes
Immersion at depth of at least 1 m measured at bottom of device, and at least 15cm measured at top of device.

Here's what Neptune says about water resistance on their Kickstarter page:
"We're working on a water-resistant IP67 coating that would make the Pine immersible up to one meter under water during 30 minutes."

I asked Neptune on 17 February whether they had their IP67 rating yet. I got 2 similar but different answers:

From Alisha Gittens of Neptune Customer Support:
"Hi Jeff,

We are in the process of finalizing the testing for the IP67, everything is going well so far.

Best Regards,

Alisha G.

Customer Support"

From the "Neptune Team" on Facebook:
"Hi Jeff,

We are in the process of finalizing the testing for the IP67. Once we get the news about this feature, we will notice our customers about it! As of now, we did not receive intel from our tech team. Stay tuned for upcoming updates.

Thanks for your loyal support. It is deeply appreciated.
Cheers,
- The Neptune Team"

This just speaks to the quality of the information Neptune is willing to share with its backers and pre-order customers. The "Tech team" apparently controls the information available to te Customer Support girl and the "Facebook team".
jschall

Re: Water resistance
Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

To be fair, that's how it should be, you can give a list of answers that will cover 90% of all questions to a random college student and pay him/her $10 an hour to address them, but your tech guys (who given their degrees) require a much higher salary. If I'm the one paying them, I want them working, not sitting on Facebook mostly answering silly questions about how well Facebook works on a watch..

On top of all that, when even the tech gurus don't know how something's going to be in a month or so, they can't just out and say it. It makes them look bad in the eyes of the investors. Instead we get, "It's being worked on, and when more info is available, you'll have it."

Now there does definitely need to be time spent with the tech guys, no question about it, since eventually a list of detailed questions will build that just can't be answered well enough by anyone else. In times like those I love to see companies hop on Reddit with an IAmA. It allows the public to have a direct line to very busy people at the heart of the company for a short time to get to that list of necessary and sometimes off the wall questions.
Kent

Return to Neptune Pine General